Research Engineer Protein Expression - Affibody
The Research Engineer Protein Expression will focus on expression of Affibody® molecules, in Affibody’s research pipeline, as well as in upstream process development after CD selection. He or she will plan and execute experiments, perform in-process analyses, analyze data, and report results to meet specified timelines and objectives.
The Research Engineer Protein Expression will be part of the Protein Expression & Laboratory Service (PELS) team and will be directed by the objectives and demands of the research and development projects. The PELS team currently has five members, and is one of four research groups at Affibody, each led by a Principal Scientist with profound expertise in the respective discipline.
Key Responibility Areas
- Plan and execute experiments, analyze data and report results to meet specified timelines and objectives
- Execute microbial transformation and prepare Research Cell Banks (RCBs)
- Plan and perform expression analyses (e.g. SDS-PAGE and A280 analyses after affinity chromatography), as well as analyses of low molecular weight components and metabolites
- Participate and contribute in the Candidate Drug (CD) selection process
- In cooperation with other group members, plan and execute processability tests before CD selection (e.g. High Cell Density Cultivations (HCDC), product recovery, and stability tests of process intermediates)
- In cooperation with other group members, plan and execute upstream and midstream process development (e.g. High Cell Density Cultivations (HCDC), product recovery, and stability tests of process intermediates)
- Responsible and accountable for generated results and given timelines
- Responsible for documentation and reporting findings within given timelines
Degree in Life Science Technology, preferably Engineering Biology (300 credits), Molecular Biotechnology Engineering (300 credits), or equivalent.
- Hands-on experience from work with microbial production, preferably production of recombinant proteins
- Experience from planning and performing of experiments, and analyzing data
- Industrial experience from development of biopharmaceuticals is an advantage
- Experience from downstream processing (DSP), experimental planning using Design of Experiments (DoE), and/or validation of analytical methods is an advantage
Skills and abilities
- A solid theoretical background in bioprocess engineering
- A good understanding of molecular biology
- A great interest in practical laboratory work
- An ability to absorb and generate new ideas, to plan experiments and to draw conclusions from generated results
- High energy, ability to take initiatives, and results oriented
- Thoroughness, ability to create and keep order
- Strong sense of personal accountability working independently as well as in teams
- Good skills in communication, documentation, and presentation of results in English in written reports
- Proficiency in the Swedish language (oral and written) is an advantage
The Research Engineer Protein Expression reports to the Principal Scientist, Process Expression.
Application and more information
You are welcome with your application by e-mailing your CV and a personal letter to email@example.com as soon as possible. We are working continuously with this recruitment project. Write “Protein Expression” in the subject field. Please call Knut Natt och Dag on +46 722 166 800 if you have any questions.
Affibody is a clinical stage Swedish biotech company focused on developing next generation biopharmaceuticals based on its unique proprietary technology platforms: Affibody® molecules and Albumod™.
The company operates a focused experimental medicines model and currently has four clinical or late stage preclinical proprietary programs. The first three are therapeutic programs that targets psoriasis, B-cell driven autoimmune diseases, and liver diseases respectively. The fourth program is a diagnostic imaging program that is directed primarily towards metastatic breast cancer.
In addition to its portfolio of innovative drug projects the company offers the half-life extension technology, Albumod™, for outlicensing.
Affibody has ongoing commercial relationships with several companies such as AbClon, Biotest, Daewoong, Daiichi Sankyo, GE Healthcare, and Swedish Orphan Biovitrum.
Affibody is cooperating with Aktivia Science Work in this recruitment. Aktivia Science Work is a recruiting and consulting company within Life Sciences specialized in positions within the pharmaceutical industry – from early discovery through pharmaceutical development and clinical development to the market place. We are members of SwedenBIO and Medicon Valley Alliance.